7.2.13

THINGS



I'm at home, yay! 
The things is, sometimes I feel like going to university is like one big vacation and as much as I love my flatmates and my course, I never feel 100% settled. As much as people enjoy holidays and leaving their usual surroundings behind for a while, this normally only lasts for a week or two and then you become homesick and crave your own bed and your daily routines. People often assume that going to Germany is like a holiday for me, but it's not. It's home. It's as if someone from Leeds went back to Leeds, or someone from London went back to London... Just that my destination requires travel by boat or plane. In this case, Nottingham is the holiday, and the little village of Bad Iburg in the north west of Germany is the daily routines and homely beds. 
When in Nottingham, I always look for the next opportunity to go home to Germany, even if it's just for a week or two. I live a much more organised life at home, and I make a lot more of my time. I ensure I see as many old friends and family members as possible, I work at a job I love, I am much more independent in getting to places due to having a car, I go to gym at the very least four times a week, I get plenty of sleep, I eat healthily, I cherish every moment I get with my sister. Being here is being home, but being here is also something different. I associate Nottingham with little sleep, a lot of noise, too many hours at work, pasta every night and all nighters at the library. 
I hate to admit it, but after a month of travelling, going back to Nottingham to 'regular' life seems a drag.  Maybe this is due to my British forces upbringing, the fact that I can't stay in any one place for too long. And I've been in Nottingham for almost four years now. This is nothing to the average person, but there was a point in my life where I moved every 12 months. I don't feel like travelling is an option for me in the future, it's a necessity. Ideally, I would like to finish university in two years time and find a job in New York City. Dream big, hey. Ever since I've returned from America, NYC is all I have been thinking about. I felt so inspired by the rush and the excitement and the lights. I also think NYC can become tiresome over time. There may come a time in my life where I don't want to go midnight shopping at Forever 21 or hail cabs, and that's when it'll be time to move somewhere else. New beginnings all the time. 
When i was younger I never thought of travelling to be appealing. There was a time where I was in love with Nottingham. That's quickly worn off. I find the actual process of travelling so tiresome and long. I really should find a better (more productive) way to kill time at the airport, not watching endless rom-coms and episodes of The Big Bang Theory. Maybe that's a resolution I will make for my return flight to Nottingham later this week. Does anyone ever get the feeling they need to write some to-do lists? Sort their lives out? That's what I feel like. 
Speaking of lists. I want to make some changes to this blog. I think I'm ready to take this a bit more serious. I want to find what I really, really want to write about. Make it completely relevant to my life. Write more. Write about everything. 

Much love xo